Other sports, on occasion
A partial list here still.
- Squash. If less than an hour, not worth the trouble. Only the endless test of
triple jump stamina separates the men from the boys. Since obviously, the game is not
about scoring points. That's easy. Scoring points well is only slightly better.
Scoring points now and then, and being the last one standing (of two, one should never exaggerate)
is what counts.
- Sailing. Sporting, being able to sit at the same time and not playing chess.
Plus limiting practice to sunny days. Hm, sounds like fun.
- Moutaineering. Needless to say, concerning long journeys with heavy backpacks
over the mountain ridges and snowfields. Not the kind that attracts suicidal French
jobless stringy types to freeclimb vertically without rope. If there is a meaning to that,
it must be to show that simple sublimated escapism from reality is senseless. Take your helicopter,
for crying out loud. Oh. You don't have one. Well, then you indeed may climb your wall
do without the rope and don't be careful.
By the way, the often-cited thing about "having to climb the mountain
because it's there" has, contrary to popular belief, no deeper meaning, it's just a
stupid empty remark, that's all. I defy anyone to come up with a meaning that actually
explains why one should have to climb a mountain instead of, e.g., fighting poverty.
- Tennis. At the bottom of the list, and for a reason. That being the, hm, long
wavelength of involvement. Did this quite recently, though..!
- Racing bike. Bicycle, not motor. Not racing. Just long haul tours. And some 8 years ago,
the last time. But still, if possible, to be picked up again.
More may follow later.